CRUNCH 2.3: The Race for Paid Content
Download CRUNCH Bitesize now: a CRUNCH 2.2 follow up
The early months of 2019 show intriguing results from premium publishers in pursuit of paid content. The success of The New York Times, LA Times, The Guardian and The Times is followed by New York Media and soon Conde Nast going “behind the paywall”. The advent of Apple News+ adds a new dimension to the opportunity.
Our research shows that every publisher whether news, magazine or B2B is increasing the pace of development in this space.
Why is this happening and what’s working? How does it apply to you?
We’ve assembled a team of experts to share their experiences and to explore what could work for the varying challenges different types of publishers’ face.
The questions we would like to ask are:
- How much further can UK news publishers get?
- How will they get there? What kind of development, innovation and new models are required?
- What is the opportunity for local news, magazine and thematic content?
- What can we learn from B2B, other markets and the well-established pay models of Bloomberg, Financial Times, The Economist?
- Should publishers look to products like Google Subscribe and Apple News as the way to aggregate those end users willing to pay for content? Or are there other collective efforts they should pursue?
Piccadilly Tube Station - 9 minute walk
Charing Cross Station - 10 minute walk
St James’s Park Tube Station - 14 minute walk