AOP on Youtube
AOP on Twitter
AOP on LinkedIn
AOP on Facebook

Ad Blocking Q&A with Jimme Jardine from Jamatto

Twitter Facebook

Company information:

 

Jamatto Limited was founded in May2016 and incorporated Nov2016. We have 3.5 full-time employees in London, 3 UK-based business developers, and 2 US-based salespeople. Our newspaper clients include: dailymaverick.co.za, limerickleader.ie, donegaldemocrat.ie, biznews.com, leinsterleader.ie, leitrimobserver.ie, kilkennypeople.ie, nationalist.ie, offalyexpress.ie, tipperarystar.ie, leinsterexpress.ie, dundalkdemocrat.ie, longfordleader.ie, thesouthafrican.com, brooklyneagle.com.

 

What is your approach to the challenge of ad blocking? Why?

 

The motives behind consumers installing an ad blocker are varied and complex: some don’t like being continuously tempted to buy something; some don’t like inappropriate ads; some don’t like the page jumping around as ads load; some just don’t like the flashiness of ads in general; some care about download speeds and browser responsiveness; some want to conserve bandwidth; some worry about their privacy and being tracked; some worry about malware; some just believe that the internet should be free.

 

A number of these motives are quite reasonable, which rapidly leads to thorny debate over the ethics of adblocking. But at the end of the day, the consumer is king. As there is no single solution that appeals to these myriad motives, politely offering the consumer a choice is key – while gently educating them into understanding why ads are important for newspapers’ well-being.

 

Broadly speaking, our publisher customers offer the consumer three choices: (1) please whitelist our newspaper; (2) please pay a small amount to read a single article or for a time-based microsubscription; or (3) opt out and ‘let journalists go hungry’.

 

Should more publishers take action to combat ad blocking? Why?

 

Yes! A large part of the solution for publishers is education of the consumer. Most consumers don’t believe that they deserve content for free, and indeed most consumers are more driven by convenient access to quality content than they are about saving a few pounds and pence. As an increasing number of publishers take action, consumers are increasingly made aware of the implications of adblocking on the publishing industry. As their awareness increases, consumers are more willing to look at fair ways to compensate the producers of content, especially as it becomes increasingly difficult to find free quality content.

 

What’s your elevator pitch to a publisher?

 

With a single line of code (just one, we promise), you will have an tailored on-brand ab-testing-optimised adblocking solution on your digital newspaper that: (1) convinces 70%+ of adblocker-using consumers to whitelist your site; or (2) generates £2-£15 RPMs from the remaining 30% (including those who opt out)! If you don’t care to, you need not worry about your management of design, ux, ab-testing, privacy, payments, chargebacks. We handle it all. If you do care, adblocker monetisation is the thin end of the wedge of your exploring how frictionless microsubscriptions can generate you additional revenues in surprising and complementary ways.

 

What can you tell us about the methods you have used and the results you have achieved?

 

70%+ of adblocker-using consumers to whitelist.

The remaining 30% generate £2-£15 RPMs, including opt-outs!

 

What are the key industry developments that are driving the ad blocking challenge now and future? How should publishers respond?

 

It really is just the beginning of the adblocking tragedy for publishers. Up to now, adblockers have been used by a very small segment of consumers, and predominantly only on desktop. Without any technical change, the rate of adoption of adblockers is already increasing as awareness of adblockers makes its way into the mainstream.

 

But technology is marching on: just two years ago, Apple allowed adblocking on the iPhone; telecoms are increasingly rumbling about putting adblocking into the network layer; as governments increase their snoopiness, more citizens are urged to use privacy-shielding VPNs with adblockers baked into them; Apple has just recently poisoned the way cookies work in a way that, while not blocking ads, blocks the stickiness and relevance of those ads; Google is about to release adblocking turned on by default into their Chrome browser.

 

All of these technical advances could rapidly drive adblocker adoption to 70-80%! Beware the publisher who does not have a plan in place. You can’t fight it. Embrace it. Let your readers have a choice in the way they compensate you.

 

 

 

Twitter Facebook
AOP on LinkedIn
AOP on Twitter
AOP on Facebook
AOP on YouTube